Tempest Revenues & Benefits
The pay rate is £16.31 PAYE
Long Term Contract
Hours per week 36 (Overtime will be offered if available)
All aspects of the administration of Council Tax Billing & Collection
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN DUTIES
- To ensure that all applications for Council Tax exemptions, discounts, discount disregards, disabled relief are verified and correctly processed, on the Council Tax computer systems and where appropriate, ensuring at all times individuals are notified of the outcome of such applications. To update customer and property records accurately and regularly.
- To perform account housekeeping; process methods of payment; action refunds, and prepare write-offs and write-off amounts in accordance with policy.
- To reconcile the property valuation bands with the Valuation Office, action splits and mergers and ensure the property database accurately reflects the valuations list.
- Issue accounts to the Bailiff, monitor progress and liaise with the Bailiff on all accounts issued to them. Allocate Bailiff payments and advise Bailiff of directly received payments and account amendments. Maintain and provide statistics on Bailiff payments.
- Take appropriate action to recover Council Tax from customers in arrears in accordance with the legislation and the recovery policy. Set and monitor payment arrangements, attachment orders and instigate and control trace enquiries.
- Assist with the preparation of papers for the Valuation Tribunal, insolvency and committal.
- Prepare case documents for referral to Magistrates Courts, assist Court Officers in the preparation and monitoring of cases for committal. Attend Court to provide advice to taxpayers.
- To deal with Council Tax enquiries by telephone, written correspondence, or face-to-face, providing advice and explanations on all aspects of Council Tax administration.
- To draft good quality, comprehensive written replies to letters from Council Tax payers and elected representatives advising of rights of appeal, where appropriate.
- To liaise with other services in the Finance and Performance Directorate, other Council Directorates and relevant external agencies. To attend meetings, Courts, working parties and other benefit forums, as directed.
- To have a good working knowledge of Council Tax legislation and use this knowledge to ensure there is a practical interface between the two disciplines.
- To keep the Principal Revenues Officer informed of work progress and any problem areas, providing statistics and information as required.
- To use Information Communication Technology systems in the pursuit of duties.
- To undertake such training as necessary to fully carry out the full range of duties and responsibilities attached to the post.
- To assist the Principal Revenues Officer in the induction of new staff.
- To deal with telephone enquiries both internal and external, (often which are complex and/or contentious, in a polite and professional manner, remaining customer focussed and orientated at all times.
- To observe and promote the Council’s policies and procedures including those in respect of conduct, health and safety and equality of opportunity
- To demonstrate a commitment to the Council’s organisational values and beliefs and have a sound grasp of the bigger picture including the Council’s corporate plan and key deliverables
- To operate within Council policy, and in accordance with the Data Protection Act guidelines, Freedom of Information Act and Human Rights Act.
- To be self motivated and have the ability to work on your own initiative with the minimum of supervision
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the grade and character of the work as may be reasonably required by the Head of Revenues
- This job description sets out the duties of the post at the present time. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibilities entailed. Such variations cannot themselves justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post
If you are interested please send over your CV to me at email@example.com OR call 0203 651 3181 (Option 3) for more information.
Revenues Assistant – CTAX Billing SC6 (East London, South East) has been filled. If you are interested in similar roles please click the apply below and we will be in touch soon.