Tempest Revenues & Benefits
Reporting to the Local Taxation Team Leader, the post holder will administer council tax accounts, ensuring databases are accurately updated to reflect the collection and administration of council tax.
The post holder will need to have good knowledge of council tax administration and will have experience of working in a similar role. The Local Taxation Officer will be responsible for
Dealing with a high volume of customer enquiries by correspondence, telephone.
Assessing requests for discounts, disregards, exemptions etc.
Determining who is liable for council.
Negotiating payment arrangement and provide advice to customers experiencing financial difficulty.
Need to be fully proficient on the use of Northgate
You need to have
1. A good working knowledge of council tax is essential
2. A good working knowledge of IT systems – Northgate system is essential to the role and experience with Enterprise is desirable but not essential
3. Be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
4. Good communication skills and the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
5. A good working knowledge of MS office including the ability to use the internet and online resources to obtain information. Knowledge of updating records and accounts in a back office system is desirable
6. Negotiating skills. These will enable you to negotiate/advise customers on a range of issues e.g. liability for council tax
7. Experience of working with internal & external customers, some of whom may not be happy with your recommendations, as you will be required to review situations where the outcome is unclear and make decisions based on legislation and local policy.
8. Flexibility to adapt to the evolving needs of Revenues and Benefits and the Finance and Resources directorate.
9. Awareness of others’ feelings needs and concerns.
Should you be interested or know of anyone who would be please send over your CV to email@example.com OR call 0203 651 3181 (Option 3)
Local Taxation Officer (Portsmouth, South East) has been filled. If you are interested in similar roles please click the apply below and we will be in touch soon.